22 August 2006

Geeky HTML Stuff

So Beth asked how one gets all those buttons and things into the sidebar. I'll take a stab at answering, although I'm no expert - I'm just going on some very ancient knowledge of HTML that goes back to the days before there were programs to do it for you.

Also, I'm amateur enough that I couldn't get !$%#$% Blogger to allow me to show the code - it keeps trying to intepret it, no matter what I do - I loathe "fool-proof" programs - so I just put the instructions in a separate, plain file which you can go to now:

Basic instructions for putting buttons in your sidebar on Blogger.

EDIT: Also check out Girl on the Rocks for a great recommendation (and instructions for inserting) a stat counter on your blog. She promises to post more about this kind of thing, so go visit her and leave comments to encourage her!

7 comments:

Beth said...

Thank you so much for this! It really worked! I also went to Girl On The Rocks and that was great too. In another 5 years or so I may have an idea of what I'm doing. You know that high school computer programming class I took 23 years ago is escaping me at the moment.

Robin said...

Thanks for posting this! I never learned HTML in school so this is very helpful - I think if I were five (or ten!) years younger I would know this, but I just missed it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you ever so much, I will now have some buttons on my side bar, your instructions were quite clear. I can usually say to myself on a daily basis (at any given moment) that I. am. an. idiot. (I also have my very clever moments) But really am more the monkey see, monkey do type but.....like I said, thank you! I can't wait to see it 'done', it tends to take awhile.....

Amy said...

Although it's taken me over an hour to figure this out, I've got it by gollie!!! Thanks soo much for the info...very helpful!
check me out at
www.whatinthesamhillisgoingon.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Kate,
I have retuned several times over the past week or two to use your instructions...thanks again! I have a question about how to link to a document such as you did with the "Basic Instructions for putting buttons in your sidebar on Blogger." Please leave a comment at my blog:
www.whatinthesamhillisgoingon.blogspot.com

Jeri said...

Thanks Kate. Based on your excellent instructions, I now have a button on my blog sidebar. With more to come.

hesira said...

Beth guided me to you, and I just want to say thank you so much! I now have a button on my blog, and I'm going to put yours and Beth's there as well!