21 May 2007

FO - First Skirt Ever!

...but it won't be my last. I'm already planning another in charcoal alpaca, this time actually using the pattern from Blue Sky Alpacas. The one shown below I made up, using 50-50% wool/cotton that I bought in Russia. The yarn is rather stiff (it's the kind that's made like a teeny-tiny tube of I-cord), and I knit it at a tight gauge so that it keeps its shape well. It's quite a bit shorter than I'd intended, but I ran out of yarn, and Hubbster approved! With no further ado, some uncropped and unadjusted pictures (because I'm posting from work):











Meanwhile, I've been adding a little bit to several other WIPs, but not yet enough to make for interesting pictures. I've also been returning library books and throwing out piles of early drafts:



Hurrah!!

I also want to say a gigantic THANK YOU to everyone who's written and commented to support me through this dissertation hell, and just in general - although I've been absolutely terrible about responding to anything, I delight in every one of your comments and emails. I look forward to checking for comments as a special treat, and every single one makes me grin (while quite a few make me laugh out loud with joy). Please don't ever think that if I don't write back it's because I'm ignoring you - not at all! Actually, I always have a response in my head...but in recent weeks months years(??) the response has not always made its way from my head to my fingers and the keyboard. But it's not because I don't care! It's because I've been barely keeping myself together to get the minimum necessary done. But now it IS done...and I finally have time and (more importantly) mental energy to eat right, exercise, take my vitamins, sleep, knit, and get myself in order generally. That's what I'm working on now, and it feels great. I'm even going to the doctor to check up on all my psycho-somatic dissertation-induced illnesses (because I did one of those online diagnose-me things, and it turned up with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and adrenal dysfunction! I think they don't have "dissertation" as an official diagnosis, though, and from what I hear they're all pretty equatable).

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Va-va-voom! No wonder the hubster approves :o) It's great!

ayla said...

That's a great skirt, and your legs look hot in it! I can see why hubbster likes it. I have a bunch of acrylic in my stash that I bought to try and make a skirt of (hey, acrylic in volume is cheap, and great when you have no idea what you're doing) and I still haven't gotten around to it. Great job!

Marianne said...

Whoa....great gams, Kate! Fabulous skirt!
Hey, we all understand, just rest and feel/get better!

Sarah said...

The skirt looks fabulous on you! And because it can't be said enough:
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
on the dissertation :)

Oh, and I'm in love with your bookcases. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate - I had to smile at your psychosomatic illness comment - someone once wrote a mock DSM IV entry (the formal way psychiatric illnesses are diagnosed) for Doctoral Disorder of Adulthood - all about what a dissertation can do to you! A quick google search will give you a link.

Sara

Beth said...

Babe-A-Licious
hee

EnnaVic said...

I hope you have a good rest - Chocolate is good too :)

I remember when my father finished his PhD (I was 5 or 6 I think) because he brought chocolate home!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found you through Knit Blue (yay!). Great job on the skirt--it looks fab on you. Congrats on finishing your dissertation!

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

Great skirt!

And by the way...

...You've been tagged (and no, not in that way; I can't do that over the internet). Play if you want; fuggetaboutit if you don't. Come over to my site for the rules.

hesira said...

That skirt looks fabulous on you!

Laura said...

Awesome sexy skirt! I believe the appropriate exclamation would be, Smokin' Hot! :)

Congrats on finishing the diss ... yay for you!

Anonymous said...

Lovely skirt, and I also want your bookcases. Congratulations once again on the dissertation!

aija said...

My goodness that's sexy!! I never think that about knitted skirts, but you hit the nail on the head with this one :)

Michelle said...

I followed Lauren's "tag" (I was tagged, too) to your blog only to see you in your new skirt. Now I have to hate you, both for your knitting prowess and for looking better in it than I could ever dream to!